Re: dired mode recursive delete

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: dired mode recursive delete
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 20:11:57 +0200

Stephen Berman <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, 30 May 2007 13:36:03 -0400 Neal Becker <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> marking a directory D doesn't work in dired. (The xemacs version does)
>
> Do you have dired-recursive-deletes set to nil?

Actually, I would argue that nil is not a useful default for this
option: it keeps people unaware that there is a way to bypass the
default behavior of single-minded failure.

Setting it to t instead will not cause _any_ action without asking for
individual confirmation for every non-empty directory.  It seems like
quite a safe setting (whereas the original setting is not helpful in
any situation I can think of).

My personal setting is 'top which is certainly more convenient than t
but might be considered too drastic as a default setting by some.