Re: CVS is the `released version'

From: Frank Schmitt
Subject: Re: CVS is the `released version'
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 23:55:14 +0200

>      > The developer says "dear build system, I think I in my package humba, I
>      > only use package foo, bar and baz". The build system installs foo, bar
>      > and baz in *a clean environment outside of the developers workspace*
>      > (e.g. a fresh CVS checkout of Emacs), tries to build humba there and
>      > reports success or failure.
>
>     Oh, OK, that will work.  But that's equivalent to what XEmacs does.
>     It tends toward centralization because it's most efficient if done in
>     the context of a comprehensive list of packages, all available in a
>     single repository.
>
> We don't need to think about anything so complex.
> If the list of dependencies are wrong, it is a bug and
> the package maintainer fixes it.

The issue is: When packages are made available on some kind of package
repository (here repository doesn't mean CVS repository but some kind of
source from which users can obtain software), there is normally no
beta cycle: The developer pushes it to the repository and the users get
it from there. What I was talking about is a kind of automatic quality
control which tries to prevent that broken packages reach the
repository.

--
Did you ever realize how much text fits in eighty columns? If you now consider
that a signature usually consists of up to four lines, this gives you enough