Re: address@hidden: RE: cannot find :enable in Elisp manualindex]

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: address@hidden: RE: cannot find :enable in Elisp manualindex]
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 22:54:02 -0400

    Is there no way to escape a colon somehow, so that Info does not interpret
    it? The Texinfo manual says that this limitation is because "a colon
    separates the menu entry name from the node name, so a colon in the entry
    name confuses Info." If there is no way to escape a colon - to let Info know
    when a colon doesn't indicate a menu + entry, then shouldn't there be?

In the long term, we could redesign Info format.  However, such a change
takes years to put into place.

Instead of doing this, perhaps it would be better to replace the format
with a completely new format.

I wonder if we could use some limited subset of HTML, so that Emacs
could display it even though it doesn't really understand HTML.
Meanwhile, any browser could also display it, and standalone Info
could be a variant of a browser.

Karl, what do you think?