Re: cursor face

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: cursor face
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 10:16:09 +0300

> From: "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 14:37:51 -0700
>
> I don't see any index entry for the `cursor' face in the Elisp manual.

Do you see other standard faces documented in the ELisp manual?  If
so, where?

I only find the standard faces documented in the Emacs user manual
(see the node "Standard Faces" there), and the list there includes
`cursor'.

> The `cursor' face is equivalent to the value of frame parameter
> `cursor-color' - but for which frame? Or is face `cursor' somehow a
> frame-local face? Frame parameters are frame-local variables, but I didn't
> think that there was such a thing as a frame-local face. Is there?

Actually, faces are _always_ frame-local.  (It looks like this is not
stated specifically anywhere, which would be an omission.)  Changing a
face normally changes it only on the frame which was the selected
frame at the time of the change; you need to work harder to have a
face changed on all frames, which is a hint to the fact that faces
local to frames.  For example:

    (set-face-attribute face frame &rest args)

    Set attributes of face on frame from args.

    frame nil means change attributes on all frames.  frame t means change
    the default for new frames (this is done automatically each time an
    attribute is changed on all frames).

The above pertains to the functions that change faces; I don't know
what does Customize do with faces, but I'd expect it to change the
face for the currently selected frame and for newly created frames.