Re: address@hidden: RE: cannot find :enable in Elisp manualindex]

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: address@hidden: RE: cannot find :enable in Elisp manualindex]
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 10:18:25 +0100

Richard Stallman wrote:
> In the long term, we could redesign Info format.  However, such a change
> takes years to put into place.

Rather than using \: to escape a colon, which would not be backwards
compatible so would take years to filter through, it might be a good
idea to introduce SGML character entities to texinfo, so a colon could
be escaped as :

This will only work if &, # and ; do not already have special meaning in
texinfo (I don't know enough about the format to answer that but I'm
sure many here do).
Then if the user is using an older version of info they will see
":enable" in the index instead of ":enable", but at least info will
not be confused into doing something wrong.