Re: address@hidden: RE: cannot find :enable in Elisp manualindex]

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: address@hidden: RE: cannot find :enable in Elisp manualindex]
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 10:12:13 +0000 (UTC)

    Is there no way to escape a colon somehow, so that Info does not
    interpret it?

Colons came into the early Info long before their other uses were
invented.  As RMS says,

    In the long term, we could redesign Info format.  However, such a
    change takes years to put into place.

He wonders

    ... if we could use some limited subset of HTML ...

Consider DebianDoc, which is an XML format that looks like HTML and
converts to Texinfo.  It exists and works fine.

    http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/sgml-howto/x306.html

However, the key is code that converts from the Microsoft windowing
system `doc' format that is used by many, including, for example, US
nuclear operators.  They use it for `procedures' (what we would call
`written orders').

The `doc' format handles many of the layout, font, and printing needs
that people have.  Moreover, it is now used by many even though it
carries legal restrictions.

It is intended for printing on paper but in Texinfo or in a
deriviative could be converted to HTML, DVI, PDF, PostScript, LaTeX,
and such, for high resolution output.

Converting it to the low resolution output that Info offers would be
more difficult and perhaps impossible.  If that could be done, then we
would be golden.

--
    Robert J. Chassell                          GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8
    address@hidden                         address@hidden