RE: saving buffer with text properties

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: saving buffer with text properties
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 10:15:11 -0700

> > But the per-file information about applied text properties
> > needs to be saved with the file, no?
>
> That would interfere with third-party programs, such as other text
> editors, that want to edit the file.

Perhaps you're right about that. I don't know much about this stuff. We
already provide metadata in the form of local-variable declarations in
comments, but I recognize that this should also be applicable to files that
aren't necessarily code and don't necessarily have a comment syntax.
(Besides, trying to record this stuff in comments would likely be a
nightmare, if not also problematic.)

> > Or did you mean that desktop would save a list of files and their text
> > properties (including property values and locations)?
>
> Basically.  Desktop should provide hooks that other packages (such as
> major modes) can use, i.e. a major mode should be able to tell desktop
> "save the following data when closing this file, then run this
> function with that data when the file is reopened".

That sounds reasonable to me, from the little I know of this. As I mentioned
to Thi, this is not something that I expect to work on, so I'll generally
bow out of trying to design and implement this. I was really just trying to
find out if something already existed, or was planned, which I might be able
to take advantage of for my highlighting code.