Re: Same 'face' spec initialized to different values for x and terminal

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Same 'face' spec initialized to different values for x and terminal
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 00:23:33 +0300

>>  emacs has a light background in both x and xterm. Thus it looks
>>  very weird the aforementioned face is initialized to the dark
>>  background value.
>
> Emacs cannot determine the background color on a text terminal, so it
> assumes something.  Without -nw, Emacs queries the window system about
> the default color, so it can adjust its background mode.
>
> Try setting frame-background-mode to 'light in the xterm case, and I
> think you will have the colors that you want.

Interesting.  I use dictem.el on both X and xterm and don't have the
reported problem.  On xterm, Emacs correctly determines the background
color of this face.

On closer investigation, I discovered that Emacs doesn't determine
the background mode only when dictem.el is loaded from the command line
with `-nw -l dictem.el', as Leo did according to his report.

Really, when started only with `-nw' and without `-l dictem.el',
and later loading dictem.el with (load "dictem.el"),
default-frame-background-mode is 'light.

But

emacs --batch --eval '(message "mode: %s" default-frame-background-mode)'

prints

mode: nil

--
Juri Linkov