Re: Texinfo XML support in Emacs Info browser

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Texinfo XML support in Emacs Info browser
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 17:27:21 -0400

    This is the exact reason why I leaned toward using regexps instead of
    xml-parse-file.  In my first attempt to use xml-parse-file I discovered
    that `makeinfo --xml' sometimes produces non-wellformed XML, so we can't
    parse it with xml-parse-file.  Even if this will be fixed in the future
    releases of makeinfo, old versions still produce invalid XML output.

I don't think we need to cater to the buggy makeinfo.  This is a
long-term issue, and in the long-term we can fix makeinfo.

That doesn't mean your regexp-based approach is bad.

Would you please report the makeinfo bugs to bug-texinfo?
That is very important.