Re: dired mode recursive delete

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: dired mode recursive delete
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 01:59:46 +0300

>> But advantages of using external commands are numerous: they are
>> rich of features whose reimplementation in Emacs doesn't sound
>> reasonable.
>
> What use are numerous features in external commands when there is no
> interface from Emacs to them?
>
> I can call external programs as much as I like for solving some
> Emacs-internal task, but the number of options that I am not going to
> use is not relevant at all.

Designing a good interface for using them is a good goal.  For example,
I imagine that just like some dired commands, when invoked with the prefix
key, ask for the command switches (`C-u =' asks for diff switches and `C-u s'
asks for ls switches), in the same way `C-u C' and `C-u R' could ask
for cp and mv switches and call these commands.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/