Re: [RFA] Console based mouse face highlighting.

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: [RFA] Console based mouse face highlighting.
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 11:31:46 +1200

 >     The menubar still doesn't work.  I hope that we can get rid of tmm.el in
 >     Emacs 23 and make menus work along the lines that David Kastrup and Eli
 >     Zaretskii suggested.
 >
 > Can you resend me that suggestion?  I don't recall what they proposed.

My understanding was that it should work like a DOS application (!), where the
menu appears as in-situ text overlaying existing text.  To see how this works
on GNU/Linux, run midnight commander or aptitude from the console. for example.

ISTR that Eli said it wouldn't be too hard to implement, but if there is no-one
willing to do it, perhaps it could be done as a future Google Summer of Code
project.  It's a somewhat vacuous suggestion as I don't have the knowldege to
mentor it.  More generally, perhaps TODO could be adapted with the Summer of
Code project in mind, where existing contributors could offer to mentor things
that they would like to see implemented.  I have no experience of this project
but I presume it is an annual thing.