RE: address@hidden: RE: cannot find :enable in Elispmanualindex]

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: address@hidden: RE: cannot find :enable in Elispmanualindex]
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 16:55:02 -0700

> >     One more thought: someone going to the trouble of writing a
> >     whole new viewer might as well use TexinfoML XML for its
> >     input, it seems to me (as Juri wrote).
> >
> > In principle, this might be just as good as using a subset of HTML.
> > However, in practice, using a subset of HTML would allow any browser
> > to display Info files.  Could TexinfoML XML do that?
>
> `makeinfo --html' already generates output that any browser can display.
> What is missing in HTML output are Info-specific semantical elements,
> like references to next and previous nodes, menu items grouped to menus,
> index items that can be easily extracted.

I'm not suggesting this is the way to go, but I wrote a library, mkhtml.el,
that built upon htmlize.el, changing all Info links into HTML hyperlinks. I
still have the library, but it works only with an out-of-date version of
htmlize.el (which I'm not even sure I still have).

My point is that it is doable to 1) convert to HTML a la htmlize, and then
2) convert Info links (menus, xrefs, everything) to HTML links.

You make a more general point, however. Things such as index lookup via `i'
would have no HTML counterpart (or, rather, one might need to be developed).
ECMAscript? (ugh!)