Re: Post-22.1 development?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Post-22.1 development?
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 12:44:09 -0400

    My understanding is that the EMACS_22_BASE branch will be used to make
    future 22.x releases.  Should I bump the version on this branch to
    22.1.50?

Yes, please do so.

    In a recent email, Stefan suggested that we should not restrict 22.x
    development to bugfixes, but also include new features if the new
    features are not too invasive.  Do people agree with this approach?

We can put in a limited set of new features, but only if they
are really important as well as safe.

    As for the trunk, should we begin merging the unicode branch in?

Let's wait a couple of months.  I think it will be easier to move some
changes selectively to the Emacs 22 branch if we have not included
unicode-2 in the trunk.  As of now, any change in the trunk would work
in the branch.  After unicode-2 is installed, many changes will be
done differently, and they won't work unchanged in the Emacs 22 branch.