Re: For after-the-release: enhanced partial completion

From: Leo
Subject: Re: For after-the-release: enhanced partial completion
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 18:02:40 +0100

Dear Sean,

----- Sean O'Rourke (2007-06-04) wrote:-----

> Leo <address@hidden> writes:
>> I have applied this patch.
>
> Wow, I'm impressed someone revisited this almost 4 months later!
>
>> I try an example to expand to "emacs-lisp-mode" by:
>>
>>   M-x e l m TAB
>>
>> The minibuffer shows "M-x e-l-m (no matches)" while the *completions* is
>> showing:
>>
>>     Click <mouse-2> on a completion to select it.
>>     In this buffer, type RET to select the completion near point.
>>
>>     Possible completions are:
>>     emacs-lisp-mode                    emms-lyrics-mode
>>     erc-log-mode                       ess-listing-minor-mode
>>
>> Do you think this is a bug?
>
> It sounds like one, but I don't see it currently with emacs -Q in
> CVS-HEAD Emacs.  Specifically, *Completions* contains:
> Click <mouse-2> on a completion to select it.
> In this buffer, type RET to select the completion near point.
>
> Possible completions are:
> emacs-lisp-mode                          erc-log-mode
> and there's no '(no matches)' message in *Messages*.
>
> I've attached my current diff of complete.el, in case I changed
> something since my last message.
>
> /s

Tried your new patch. It doesn't work for me. For example, when I typed
'M-x e l m TAB', it didn't  expand to "e-l-m". Is this intended?

Now I come back to your original patch. In 'Emacs -Q' indeed there is no
"no matches" message. But the cursor stops at the end of "e-l-m"
(i.e. after letter 'm') when I type "M-x e l m TAB". Could you improve
it to stop after letter 'e' just like the unpatched PC-do-completion
does?

regards,