Re: saving buffer with text properties

From: Michael Olson
Subject: Re: saving buffer with text properties
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 21:32:48 -0400

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

> Is there any plan to enable users to save text with all of its properties?
>
> The Emacs manual says that `invisible' and `intangible' are not saved. It
> would be useful to be able to save a file and, upon reopening, restore all
> of the Emacs text properties, including properties that are not predefined.
>
> For instance, I have a library that implements conditional text, as in a
> desktop publishing system such as Framemaker: easily hide/show arbitrary
> sets of faces in regions etc. However, upon saving, all of this info is
> lost.

This would be something best handled by format.el.

At some point I plan to extend format.el (as requested by RMS in October
2006) to handle overlapping text properties, and then switch muse-mode
over to it.

--
       Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652     |
 http://mwolson.org/ -- Jabber: mwolson_at_hcoop.net  |  /` |\ | | |