Re: Post-22.1 development?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Post-22.1 development?
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 12:55:55 +0200

Nick Roberts <address@hidden> writes:

> Chong Yidong writes:
>  > Now Emacs 22.1 is released (for those who don't read info-gnu-emacs,
>  > see http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.announce/11 ), what is the
>  > development plan for the trunk and the branch?
>
> Looking at feedback on the Internet about Emacs 22, I think:
>
> 1) We should immediately make GTK the default build for both the
> trunk and the branch to bring it more in line with other desktop
> applications.

I had argued for doing this for 22.1 already.  I am, however, not sure
whether we should really do significant changes like that in the 22.x
release series.

If I remember correctly, one of the reasons not to switch was that we
had quite mixed reports about what happened with multi-tty, at least
with some Gtk+ versions.

> 2) The branch of CVS Emacs, which supports antialiased fonts
> (unicode-xft?  XFT_JHD_BRANCH?) should also be merged into the trunk
> for the same reason.

I guess it is clear that this is no 22.x material.

--
David Kastrup