Re: Post-22.1 development?

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Post-22.1 development?
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 09:35:25 +1200

 > I've gone ahead and merged several straightforward bugfixes from the
 > trunk into the branch.  I also drew up a list of the remaining
 > differences between the trunk and branch.  Could people chime in about
 > whether these should make their way into the branch?

 >..
 >    2007-06-03  Nick Roberts     [Terminal mouse enhancements]
 >    ....                        xt-mouse.el, t-mouse.el, keyboard.c, ...

The change to xt-mouse.el is insignificant but I'd prefer the other changes
(use of Gpm for console based mouse functionality) are not merged yet.  I think
generally it's a good change, and I don't really want to shoot my own changes
down, but here are a few reasons:

1) The menubar doesn't currently work

2) The function set-mouse-position doesn't work.  I think that in DOS, the
   kernel has a notion of where the mouse pointer is but that that isn't the
   case in Linux.  The pointer position seems to be stored in Gpm and AFAICS
   the API doesn't allow you to change it.

Also I would like to see the following:

1) DOS-like menubar functionality (as already discussed)

2) Functionality extended to work on an xterm.  I notice that midnight
   commander and aptitude can do this, although the latter doesn't appear to
   be linked with Gpm.

So it's kind of a work in progress.  If anyone feels that they can help with
it, please do.