Re: Post-22.1 development?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Post-22.1 development?
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 15:47:17 +0200

address@hidden (Johan Bockgård) writes:

> Michael Albinus <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> The major difference is removal of cl.el. So it might be desirable to
>> merge it into the branch. admin/FOR-RELEASE says
>>
>> ** viper and tramp should not load cl at run time.
>
> The change was unnecessarily drastic.
>
>      However, there is no problem with using the `cl' package at
>      compile time, with `(eval-when-compile (require 'cl))'.  That's
>      sufficient for using the macros in the `cl' package, because the
>      compiler expands them before generating the byte-code.
>
>      -- (info "(elisp)Coding Conventions")
>
> There were no problematic uses in tramp.el, AFAICT (after adding
> `eval-when-compile').

There were so many cases of a warning buffer popping up in many
versions of tramp that it seems pointless to keep cl in it unless it
is really hard to replace: getting this completely right just seems to
be fragile.  After a few dozen failed attempts, "we _can_ do this
right" appears like asking for trouble.

--
David Kastrup