Re: display.texi: (<line>,<col>) isn't documented.

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: display.texi: (<line>,<col>) isn't documented.
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 00:27:19 +0300

>> Maybe something like 561: and :2 and 561:2 ?  That's visually
>> formatted, pretty understandable (also has some relation to error
>> message formatting), and even more compact.
>
> Yes! m:n (or m/n) is *much* more readable IMHO than "Lm Cn".

Often I can't instantly recall what number belong to what in the
format (LL,CC), so I need to type C-f a few times and see what number changes.

Maybe this confusion arises from the fact that currently numbers are
displayed in the order reverse to usual, where the first number in
a pair of coordinates corresponds to the x-axis (Columns), and second -
to the y-axis (Lines).

> I even force them to fixed width:
>
>  (setq mode-line-position '(:propertize ("%5l/" (3 "%c"))
>                             face my-position-face))
>
> It's not often that I edit files with more than 99999 lines or more
> than 999 columns.

I think it would be good to save more precious space in the modeline:
to use 8 instead of 12 for the minimum length of the buffer name,
to use 5 instead of 10 for the minimum length of line-number and column-number,
to remove extra space between mode-line-position and mode-line-modes.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/