Re: Post-22.1 development?

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Post-22.1 development?
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 10:21:02 +0200

Miles Bader skrev:
Jan Djärv <address@hidden> writes:
It's a bit rambling, but the relevant part is how Emacs doesn't sit
naturally on a modern Desktop.  I don't fully understand the issues but
Jan D. could probably explain them.
It is a lot of general comments but very few specific.  Also they seem to
be based on a non-Gtk build of Emacs.  But even with a Gtk build, there
are things lacking, and what I think they mean are:

A large part of what you listed basically comes down to "Emacs is not a
Gnome program"... which is inarguably true.

But "not a gnome program" != "doesn't sit naturally on a modern desktop":
most of these points apply to almost every other non-gnome program out
there -- including programs using very functional and polished
non-gtk/gnome GUI/infrastructure toolkits.

Yes, I got the same impression. Someone argued that firefox/mozilla by that standard is not well integrated either. I often use ghostview, xpdf, xdvi, and they are even less integrated than Emacs. But very useful nontheless and the lack of "integration" hasn't been anything I ever thought about.

Some things may be worth adressing, but I think mostly this is the same "If it isn't Gnome, it sucks"-attitude that Gnome people seem to have.

        Jan D.