Re: Post-22.1 development?

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Post-22.1 development?
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 11:33:17 -0700

Jan> - Printing, basically Emacs does not have a "modern" print dialog.

I thought the comment here was just about using the wrong program to
access printing.  But, I'm not an expert here.

Jan> - Fonts, AA fonts and respecting the fonts selected by the user
Jan> in his desktop preferences, including switching fonts on the fly
Jan> when the user changes his preferences.  A font dialog chooser is
Jan> missing.

Here I thought the problem was Emacs using some old font infrastructure.

Jan> - Session management.  We have that now in 22.1, but Emacs does
Jan> not restore the frame layout as it was.

IMO -- don't bother with this.  The Gnome trend is away from session
management anyhow.

In general my understanding of the issue from the Fedora POV is that
keeping some old infrastructure (old fonts, old print subsystem,
whatever) around is a pain.  Whether or not Emacs looks "Gnome-like"
is not really a distro issue.  So the issue is, make sure Emacs is
using the current blessed technology.

While I think in some cases better desktop integration is nice, Emacs
is also unusual and it doesn't always make sense to try to make it fit
in.  I suppose this is the "old time Emacs user" approach :)

That said, there are a couple desktop integration areas I'm interested
in:

* Notification area support.  I have a hacked zenity that does most of
  what I want -- albeit poorly.  Direct support in Emacs would be much
  better.

* Keyring support.  I have some code for this (supporting either the
  Gnome keyring or a private Emacs-specific one), but I haven't wired
  it in to all the code in Emacs that uses passwords.

Disclaimer: despite my email address I'm not involved in decision
making for Fedora.

Tom