Re: Post-22.1 development?

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Post-22.1 development?
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 11:47:59 -0700

>> * Notification area support.  I have a hacked zenity that does most of
>> what I want -- albeit poorly.  Direct support in Emacs would be much
>> better.

David> I'd love to see this -- for example, an icon that sits in the
David> tray and flashes when someone mentions your nick in ERC.

Right now I have:

* ERC support (an "erc-status" module).  Flashes when your nick is
  seen, clicking shows that buffer, notifies when you enter/leave a
  server.  In theory there's a menu but this is broken ATM.

* Calendar support -- kinda buggy, but pops up a notification for an
  appointment, and clicking shows the calendar.

* EMMS support.  Tooltip shows the current song, clicking pauses or
  un-pauses play.

I think more than half of my notification area icons come from Emacs :-)

It is a pain to set up right now, you need to patch zenity (the patch
is in Gnome bugzilla).  See:

    http://tromey.com/blog/?p=309
    http://tromey.com/blog/?p=308

... but look for status.el and erc-status.el on gnu-emacs-sources,
since I posted newer versions.

For real Emacs integration I was thinking of having a new kind of
icon-only frame.  I think this would let the menus work more nicely.
I haven't looked into implementing this... I'd like to but it is hard
to know whether I'll find the time.  Anyway, I welcome advice & input
on this.

Tom