Re: Post-22.1 development?

From: Sean O'Rourke
Subject: Re: Post-22.1 development?
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 12:48:46 -0700

Let me just put in a word for the Luddites here...

> There's a long thread on fedora-devel (Why isn't emacs
> installed by default)

I have recently experienced similar "integration with a modern
desktop environment" on Mac OS X, where we have the choice
between standard Carbon Emacs and Aquamacs, which tries to behave
more like other Mac applications.  As a longtime Emacs user on
many platforms, I find Aquamacs highly unpleasant.  Many of its
"enhancements," like widespread use of variable-width fonts,
color themes, and pop-up frames, are counterproductive.

I already have a number of lines in my .emacs disabling various
bits of modernization (e.g. tooltip-mode, tool-bar-mode,
blink-cursor-mode, enormous fringes on both sides), and expect
that acceding to Gnome's wishes would just add to this list.
Emacs has its own ways of doing things, and some of us prefer
them, and believe they are better than more "modern"
alternatives.  There are many clear improvements available in
modern environments, such as the option of having anti-aliased
fonts.  But I urge the Emacs developers to be wary of making
changes simply because they make Emacs more "modern," and to
continue to make it possible to disable such changes.

/s