Re: Post-22.1 development?

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Post-22.1 development?
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 23:53:41 +0100

On 7 Jun 2007, at 23:42, Sean O'Rourke wrote:

Right, and although there's something to be said for doing things
à la Emacs, I'm gradually accepting that it's not possible to
convert everyone to the old-school point of view. ;)

Absolutely. If all my other applications used the same interaction paradigms, it would be acceptable. Humans are very adaptive (i.e. intelligent) animals, but we still don't like to switch modes.

I'd love to see an "Emacs component" as the plug-in editor in all editing fields in GUI applications, like as the editor in the e-mail client that I am using right now. Having a programmable editor that runs just inside other applications is what I'd much rather have than a multitude of applications running inside the programmable editor.

- better support of variable-width fonts

Absolutely, e.g. for reading info pages.  It should be little
more work to do this agreeably than to do it at all.

I'd actually like to use such fonts to write text. But they really don't play well with longlines-mode. And I had to write a number of extra functions to be able to move the cursor up and down in between lines with variable-width fonts. The plain GNU Emacs as it comes just doesn't support that, even though variable-width fonts have been added a long time ago.

- optional replacement of windows inside frames with multiple
  frames

This, on the other hand, seems harder to get right without
disturbing people's habits.  Perhaps adding more customization to
pop-to-buffer and display-buffer is the way to go?

Yes, difficult indeed, and `one-buffer-one-frame-mode' indeed works by changing the display function (amongst various other things).