Re: find-file-noselect needs save-match-data

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: find-file-noselect needs save-match-data
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 03:11:54 -0400

    > Perhaps the name should be `safe-string-match'.

    I don't find it much safer, so maybe `string-match-nodata' would be better?

"safe" seems good to me.  "nodata" doesn't seem to express a clear meaning.

    Then again, maybe adding an `inhibit-match-data' variable would
    be preferable.

That idea could be useful.  I'd prefer the name `preserve-match-data',
or `set-match-data' (which you could bind to nil).