Re: Post-22.1 development?

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Post-22.1 development?
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 14:12:31 -0600

>> * Keyring support.  I have some code for this (supporting either the
>> Gnome keyring or a private Emacs-specific one), but I haven't wired
>> it in to all the code in Emacs that uses passwords.

Ken> The Mac also has its Keychain system for storing passwords,
Ken> encrypting them, optionally keeping them synchronized across
Ken> machines, prompting the user to confirm that a program is allowed to
Ken> access passwords stored by other programs, etc.

Yeah.  I think the Gnome keyring was designed after the Mac's.
Anyway, my implementation has two back ends: an Emacs-specific one
that stores a sexp encrypted with GPG, and a Gnome-specific one that
uses a helper program to contact the Gnome keyring.

Adding a helper program for the Mac sounds doable, at least for
someone who knows the Mac.  It would also be interesting to look at
sharing keyring data in Emacs -- using Emacs to convert keyring
formats, upload to a private shared site, whatever.

Would folks prefer to see what I have now, or is a big patch to fix
everything preferable?

Tom