RE: display.texi: (<line>,<col>) isn't documented.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: display.texi: (<line>,<col>) isn't documented.
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 08:02:23 -0700

> >>     What about my original proposal (and code):
> >>     1. Show the region size (highlighted with region face) when active.
> >>
> >> I don't see that that is very useful.  The region is highlighted
> >> itself.
> >
> > Yes, but its size is not obvious, especially if part of it is
> off-screen.
>
> `M-=' (count-lines-region) is easy to type.

Sure.

1. If you use the mouse to select text, then having the region size always
visisble (when active) means not having to use `M-=': double-click + click,
or drag a region - you see how big it is as you drag.

2. In transient mark mode, when you use `C-SPC' the region becomes active,
even though it is empty. This mode-line indicator shows you that the region
is active even when you can't see it. When a command (e.g. query-replace)
limits itself to the region, this helps you avoid the exercise of figuring
out that you are acting on an empty region.

This indicator is helpful mainly for someone who uses transient mark mode
(it appears only when the region is active). If you don't use transient mark
mode, you likely won't see the point.