Re: Help hyperlinks only work when auto-compression-mode is enabled.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Help hyperlinks only work when auto-compression-mode is enabled.
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 15:26:56 -0400

> Hi, Emacs!
> Emacs -Q
> M-x auto-compression-mode
> C-h f revert-buffer
> C-x o    <tab>            ; Point is now over `files.el'
> <CR>                      ; To go to the definition of `revert-buffer'

> This gives the error message "Can't find library files.el".  The reason
> for this is that the source is actually in files.el.gz, and this can
> only be read when auto-compression-mode is enabled.

Who compressed files.el?  I don't think this is a standard procedure.
Or were you using a version of Emacs packaged by some distribution
like Debian?  If so, please complain to them.

> This is not good; even though a-c-m is enabled by default, our help system
> should still work if a user disables a-c-m (OUTCH!!! ;-).

Most of the help still works.  You just can't jump to the source code
as easily.

I'm not absolutely opposed to your patch, but I don't really like it and
find its need very debatable.

        Stefan