Re: Help hyperlinks only work when auto-compression-mode is enabled.

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Help hyperlinks only work when auto-compression-mode is enabled.
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 00:49:11 +0100

Hi, Richard.

On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 05:00:35PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     2007-06-10  Alan Mackenzie  <address@hidden>
>
>           * help-mode.el (help-function-def, help-variable-def,
>           help-face-def): Use `with-auto-compression-mode'.
>
> The right way to format that, according to our conventions, is

>     2007-06-10  Alan Mackenzie  <address@hidden>
>
>           * help-mode.el (help-function-def, help-variable-def)
>           (help-face-def): Use `with-auto-compression-mode'.

Sorry about that.

> The code looks correct.  But would it be better to do this in the
> subroutines in find-func.el?

I don't think so.  Anybody who's knowingly disabled auto-compression-mode
will have a good reason for doing so, and will surely know what she's
doing.  She won't want the find-func functions to find foo.el.gz.  Maybe
there's a stable foo.el.gz higher on the search path, and there's an
foo.el being actively developed.  Maybe some source files are being
compressed to hide them.

However, this user didn't ask for the Emacs-22 sources to be compressed,
any more than I did.  It just happened with the "make install".  So we're
entitled to see these sources on clicking the hyperlink in C-h f.

If we were to put the fix in `find-function-search-for-symbol' (or even
lower), this would identify these two cases which should remain distinct.

So I think the fix should be in help-mode.el.

--
Alan.