Re: Post-22.1 development?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Post-22.1 development?
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 12:04:40 +0200

>     How about merging the multi-tty branch? The changes on that branch are
>     much more localized, so porting fixes from the trunk to the EMACS_22
>     branch should not be a big issue.
>
> Does anyone see a problem with this idea?

Well, the setenv/process-environment thing I wanted to have a look at:
in the current state, it will require quite a few changes in existing
packages (including packages not distributed as part of Emacs), and I
think that the approach which I sketched out would pretty much
eliminate that problem.

Merging multi-tty to the trunk now could mean that some people start
patching up other packages inside or outside of Emacs to work with the
current environment variable settings, while others will change the
mechanisms eventually.

My last weekends have been quite busy and I still have a bunch of
other stuff left in my leasure queue.  So I haven't gotten around to
actually write code in that area.

That's what I would consider sort of speaking against a merge right
now: it might cause unnecessary work (later likely to be reverted) at
other locations.  I will still try to wedge my own attempts of doing
this into my schedule, but I am not yet familiar with the branch code.

--
David Kastrup