Re: Compiling emacs 22 on ubuntu 7.0.4

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Compiling emacs 22 on ubuntu 7.0.4
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 19:57:35 +0200

Richard Stallman skrev:
>     You are probably missing some development packages for image libraries.
> What
>     does the summary configure prints out say?
>
> This doesn't seem right to me.
>
> If some image libraries that ought to be present for a proper build of
> Emacs are missing, is it really good for Emacs to compile without
> those features?  Or would it be better to get error messages
> and tell the user to install those development packages?

It would require us to check for the run time shared library, and that would
fail anyway if the user is crosscompiling.  Not to mention we don't know what
version to check for.  But if libXpm is not found, I guess we could print out
a warning saying that icons and images will be in black and white and
installation of libxpm-dev(el) or similar would fix this.

        Jan D.