RE: guided tour suggestions

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: guided tour suggestions
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 13:19:02 -0700

> The in-progress version is here:
> http://stuff.mit.edu/iap/emacs/emacs-guided-tour-1.html

Much better! Thanks.

I suspect that others will disagree, but I'd suggest mentioning something
about the mouse in the Region section. I'd also suggest dropping mention of
M-@ and M-h (C-x h is important, however, and we should mention that this is
essentially "Select All" (often C-a)).

Similarly, I wouldn't bother with all of the kill flavors: kill N lines,
unless this is to be used as an illustration of C-u (in which case it
doesn't belong in the Killing text section). I wouldn't mention M-k or M-z.
I wouldn't mention so many key bindings, in general. I wouldn't mention
anything about movement or selection of sentences and paragraphs.

I agree 100%, BTW, that the aim here is not to teach how to use Emacs but to
show a little of what's available. That's why key bindings are not so
important to describe. (In fact, we could even just stick to menu items.) If
this were more about teaching use, then I'd say we need to mention C-x C-s
and C-x C-w (and...).