Re: Compiling emacs 22 on ubuntu 7.0.4

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Compiling emacs 22 on ubuntu 7.0.4
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 22:39:16 +0100

Richard Stallman wrote:
>     You are probably missing some development packages for image libraries.
> What
>     does the summary configure prints out say?
>
> This doesn't seem right to me.
>
> If some image libraries that ought to be present for a proper build of
> Emacs are missing, is it really good for Emacs to compile without
> those features?  Or would it be better to get error messages
> and tell the user to install those development packages?

Another way to solve these problems would be to use ppm files for the
color icons, since ppm support is built in to Emacs.

Currently we do the following:

1. if display supports >= 256 colors, try low-color/IMAGE_NAME.xpm if it
exists
2. try IMAGE_NAME.xpm (color icons - requires libxpm)
3. try IMAGE_NAME.pbm (monochrome icons - support built in)
4. try IMAGE_NAME.xbm (monochrome icons - support built in)

Personally I think we should try looking for png images early in the
process, since that is the source format for the images