Re: Post-22.1 development?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Post-22.1 development?
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 13:43:49 -0400

>> I think the right way to do it is to change the multi-tty code's handling of
>> environment so that it preserves the old behavior (and probably breaks
>> some of the multi-tty support), then merge into the trunk, then try and fix
>> the multi-tty part of the breakage.

> I'm not sure exactly what the current breakage is, and why it is a

The "breakage" is that process-environment needs to be sometimes replaced by
(environment).  This is partly unavoidable.  Since we will have several
environments, there will need a way for external package to explicitly
request one or the other.

> problem, but there are a number of environment variables that have come
> up in this discussion that there is general agreement that they should
> be terminal local (DISPLAY, TERM).

I don't think the disagreement is about which variables should be
terminal-local and which shouldn't.  Rather it's about what API to present
to external packages to manipulate the environment.  `process-environment'
plus `setenv' does not seem quite sufficient.

        Stefan