Re: Online Emacs Manuals at gnu.org

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: Online Emacs Manuals at gnu.org
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 00:19:25 +0300

Chong Yidong wrote:

> >> ../manual/elisp.html index.html
> >> ../manual/elisp.html elisp.html
>
> It doesn't seem to be working.

It works only for the index page, that's expected.  Now
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/elisp-manual/ displays the
gendocs-generated index of the Emacs Lisp Reference Manual.

In order the links to the various formats to work, we either have to
regenerate the page when Karl changes the script to handle the new
locations (if he doesn't see a problem with the new layout), or
install symlinks in each subdirectory.  And certainly I can do that
manually, no big deal.

> Ideally, we should also have symlinks [...] so that old links to the
> elisp manual will still work.

I just did that, let's wait and see if it works.

> Can the symlinks system handle directories?

Several people have reported that they don't work, but we already have
working symlinks like "foo bar".  I don't see a particular reason why
"foo/baz bar" won't work.

What's certain is that the second filename cannot contain slashes;
wildcards are also out of question.