Re: dired mode recursive delete

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: dired mode recursive delete
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 02:11:41 -0600

Richard Stallman wrote:
I'm uneasy about `top' vs. t as the default: when I'm prompted "Recursive delete of SUBDIR? ", I expect that if I answer "yes"
    that I'll be prompted for SUBDIR's subdirectories as well.

It asks about recursively deleting the directory's contents.

I interpret "recursive" as an explanation of why I'm being prompted: the
directory has a subdirectory, and deleting the directory in toto is
therefore a recursive operation.

So I think it is clear that you're saying yes to all the levels.

But my experience with the Unix rm command leads me to expect that
when I respond affirmatively that I am only saying yes to this level:

-bash-2.05b$ mkdir -p /tmp/foo/bar
-bash-2.05b$ touch /tmp/foo/bar/baz
-bash-2.05b$ \rm -ri /tmp/foo
examine files in directory /tmp/foo? y
examine files in directory /tmp/foo/bar? y
remove /tmp/foo/bar/baz? y
remove /tmp/foo/bar? y
remove /tmp/foo? y
-bash-2.05b$