Re: Adding xterm-extras to Emacs

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: Adding xterm-extras to Emacs
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 07:15:09 -0700

Peter Heslin <address@hidden> writes:

  > Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:
  > > Oops, I didn't pay enough attention: there's no support for any M-S-
  > > key bindings. No idea why, there AFAICT nothing in emacs uses them and
  > > nobody requested them ...
  >
  > Hi Dan,

Hi Peter,

  > When we discussed this by e-mail some time ago, I suggested that rather
  > than limiting term/xterm.el to those bindings currently used by Emacs,
  > we should provide mappings for all possible escape sequences emitted by
  > a current xterm with modifyOtherKeys set.

That is certainly a valid approach. I didn't take because at the time
I did that work emacs was in a feature freeze for the 22.1 release. I
didn't want to have the changes postponed for after the release, so I
tried to do the minimal, but still enough for useful work.

  > The reasons for this are: (1) it's hard to get a list of all bindings
  > used by all modes that ship with Emacs, and (2) many users define
  > additional bindings in their .emacs file which work with X11, and which
  > they might like also to work with xterm.

I don't have a strong opinion about this, but before moving in that
direction I would like to hear at least Eli's and Stefan's opinion.

BTW, new packages are being accepted now in Emacs CVS, so this is
probably a good moment to submit your ispell-multi and
flyspell-babel...