Re: gtk scroll bar deficiency

From: grischka
Subject: Re: gtk scroll bar deficiency
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 13:56:18 +0200

> i think the point is that a different metaphor pleases other
> people.  if the mechanisms that support your preferred metaphor
> cannot support another, that is a deficiency in the generality of
> those mechanisms.
>
> "but they were not designed to be general."
>
> art of design is finding balance between undesired (maintenance
> burden) and desired (customizable) generality.  it is ok to be
> artistically deficient (most of us are so by default!), but there
> is no escaping the art critics -- they are everywhere.
>
> thi

Simple and clear does not mean artistically deficient. Often the
contrary is true. I personally think the GUI designers knew what
they were doing. Nobody wants to see the same scrollbars behave
differently in every other application.

Why not be realistic? Do you think scrollbar toolkits will change
anytime near in the future? If not, what is the point to spend
time in nagging at other peoples decisions.

In the meantime, whats with emacs scrolling through inlined
images, varying fontheights, etc. Sooner or later you will need
a better internal infrastructure, and once you have it driving
the standard scrollbars will be no problem at all, either.

-- grischka