Re: Emacs 23 development policy

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs 23 development policy
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 15:56:23 -0400

Regarding the Cocoa/GNUstep port, I have no first-hand knowledge of its
code/features/etc... but from what I hear, I am of the opinion that it
should eventually replace the current Carbon port.  If that's indeed the
case, than we should merge it in as soon as possible.
The prerequistes seem to be (for me):

1 - it works enough to be usable to do work such as porting and debugging.
    This is important to make sure people interested in this port will be
    sufficiently motivated.
2 - its inclusion is properly protected by the relevant #ifdefs such that it
    obviously does not impact the stability of existing code and features.
3 - the code isn't made up of temporary ugly hacks.

>From what you say, it seems like the code shouldn't be too far from this state.
Now, of course maybe others will disagree on my conditions and will want to
be more stringent.

        Stefan