Re: feature request: indicator of minibuffer-recursion depth

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: feature request: indicator of minibuffer-recursion depth
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 19:27:03 +0300

>> I've installed a slightly modified version (discussed back then) under the
>> name of
>> mb-depth.el (to avoid 8.3 conflicts).
>
> I was referring to this C patch by Miles, which Richard said to prefer
> (and, honestly, I do too).

According to the header of this file its author is also Miles.

> I see no point in adding an elisp package (and, worse, stuff to
> minibuffer-setup-hook) to avoid 15 or 20 lines of very clean C code.

There is no reason to add code in C when it is possible to do the same
thing in Emacs Lisp.

Perhaps, creating a new package with just two functions is not justified.
This functionality might fit to one of the existing files.

> Could we please try that answer first? (I used it for months with no
> problem whatsoever.)

The only drawback I see in installed code that it misses the user option
minibuffer-depth-indicator (it was in the C patch).  I suggest adding it
to make this feature more customizable.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/