RE: feature request: indicator of minibuffer-recursion depth

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: feature request: indicator of minibuffer-recursion depth
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:42:46 -0700

> Something like the following patch?
> +(defvar minibuffer-depth-indicator (propertize "[%d]" 'face 'highlight)

Sure, something like that would be OK.

Better, IMO, would be something that even non-Lispers could use. Just use a
face-valued variable in place of the face symbol. Or just add a `defface' and
use that new face, not `highlight'.

> I'd like to make `minibuffer-depth-indicator' a defcustom, but I don't
> see a way to allow propertizing it (other than adding a second
> variable, ugh).

What's wrong with that? I do that in Icicles: a variable for the text and a
face for the face.

It beats making users know how to use `propertize' just to customize the
appearance of this, IMO. It doesn't take a newbie long to figure out how to
change either the face or the text. It would take a newbie long (and s?he'd
need a fair amount of confidence) to "customize" a propertized string value
such as your indicator's.