Re: Syncing Gnus and Emacs repositories

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Syncing Gnus and Emacs repositories
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 00:12:56 +0200

> I have decided that we should not merge unicode-2 until a couple of
> months have gone by and we know what should be done about Emacs
> 22.2.

But Emacs 22.2 will be released from EMACS_22_BASE.  It does not
depend on the trunk.  The whole point of forking a release branch was
to be able to move forward again in the trunk.

> Until then I want to avoid far-reaching changes in the trunk.

Why?  The trunk is not what is going to end up in Emacs 22.2.  The
target of the trunk is to move towards 23.1 (and then later versions).

> Please stop making a fuss about a couple of months.

It just appears quite pointless to be driving with the handbrake on
after we passed the point of the release.

> However, it is ok to add new features which are not so far-reaching
> in their effects on the code.  Even the multi-tty branch could be
> merged in (once we decide what to do about the environment).

It is fine if we have a plan what kind of work to do in what manner,
and then concentrate on accomplishing it.

The current plan, however, seems to be "let's achieve as little as
possible over as long as possible".  You call for several months of
delay until "we know what should be done about Emacs 22.2".  But this
knowledge will not drop from the skies while we are idling.  It can
only come about by people _working_ on the trunk with _several_
features so that it becomes clear which of these features (if any) are
suitably fit for merging into EMACS_22_BASE (and consequently will
appear in 22.2), and which aren't.

The way to find that out is hardly by doing nothing until
enlightenment strikes us.