Re: feature request: indicator of minibuffer-recursion depth

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: feature request: indicator of minibuffer-recursion depth
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 01:47:13 +0200

On 6/16/07, Juri Linkov <address@hidden> wrote:

It is very easy to add a customizable variable to the Lisp version,
as you already did in your patch.

I know. But it is not there, so it's difficult to understand how would
the elisp version (as it stands) be more configurable that the C one.

Placement can be changed in Lisp by redefining the function
`minibuf-depth-setup-minibuffer'.  And I can do this because I prefer
putting this indicator to the end of the prompt by using after-string
instead of before-string.

That's a bit of a cheat, isn't? For the same reason you can say that
the C version is equally configurable: just don't set
`minibuffer-depth-indicator', and hack something for
`minibuffer-setup-hook'...

And if it interacts badly with your other eight minibuffer setup hooks,
you are unable to fix this conflict with the hard-coded C version.

The C version happens after the hook is run.

            Juanma