Re: feature request: indicator of minibuffer-recursion depth

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: feature request: indicator of minibuffer-recursion depth
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 02:57:10 +0300

>> It is very easy to add a customizable variable to the Lisp version,
>> as you already did in your patch.
>
> I know. But it is not there, so it's difficult to understand how would
> the elisp version (as it stands) be more configurable that the C one.

While it is not there, you can redefine `minibuf-depth-setup-minibuffer'
in your .emacs.

>> Placement can be changed in Lisp by redefining the function
>> `minibuf-depth-setup-minibuffer'.  And I can do this because I prefer
>> putting this indicator to the end of the prompt by using after-string
>> instead of before-string.
>
> That's a bit of a cheat, isn't? For the same reason you can say that
> the C version is equally configurable: just don't set
> `minibuffer-depth-indicator', and hack something for
> `minibuffer-setup-hook'...

I like such a configurability of the C version when it means: don't use
the C version and start hacking `minibuffer-setup-hook' in Lisp.

>> And if it interacts badly with your other eight minibuffer setup hooks,
>> you are unable to fix this conflict with the hard-coded C version.
>
> The C version happens after the hook is run.

This is very bad.  This means that you have no control on what it does
with the minibuffer, and can't fix its bad effects.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/