Re: Things I would like to be added after the release

From: T. V. Raman
Subject: Re: Things I would like to be added after the release
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 22:01:26 -0700

Rather than asking "how can ECB be written to not use advice"
here is one way to think of the issue:

0)   ECB works fine as is with advice.
1)   aAdvice is an interesting implementation technique for
     identifying extension points and hooks.
     Said differently, the ecb authors probably used advice
     because Emacs' builtin hook facilities didn't provide the
     extension facilities they needed.

2) Assuming you believe (at least partially) (1) above, then
     rather than asking "how can we rewrite ECB without advice",
     ask the following alternative question:

3) By observing what extension points ECB needed, what
     hooks/extension points can base Emacs provide? What can we
     learn?  Which of the ECB extension points are ECB specific,
     and which aren't?

4) Having answered (3), sensibily add extension points /hooks to
     Emacs to obviate those advice fragments that were deemed to

5)   Leave the issue of whether ECB is implemented with advice or
     something else to the ECB implementors.
     have identified generic extension points in (3).

     <address@hidden> writes: David> <address@hidden> writes:
     >> But here is (4): Currently ECB contains a lot of >>
     compatibility-code so ECB runs as best as possible with >>
     Emacs and XEmacs... this is a goal of ECB and should >>
     remain as a goal. I doubt Richard wants to have XEmacs- >>
     compatibility-code in the ECB integrated in the >>
     Emacs-trunc ;-)