Re: Adding ispell-multi.el and friends to Emacs

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Adding ispell-multi.el and friends to Emacs
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 14:24:36 +0200

>>A corollary is that with ispell-multi, words accepted for the
>>session are also accepted for the session in other buffers in the
>>same language.  I would tend to regard that as a feature rather than
>>a bug.
>

> In some situations it could actually be a misfeature.  Imagine that I
> tell flyspell to accept words that are special to some programming
> language.  For example, in a Texinfo buffer, I might allow some
> @-commands.  Another similar case is that some rare acronyms or
> personal names turn up frequently in some text, so I want to allow
> them in that one buffer.

That's what flyspell's "accept for buffer" feature is for.

> So it sounds like this feature should be optional, although I don't
> mind it being on by default.

AFAICT flyspell throws away all words accepted for the session _and_ the
buffer when you switch buffers.  Hence Peter's solution is certainly not
a regression.  Making the feature optional means you still can choose
only between accepting a word for all buffers sharing the same process
or throw away any words you accepted previously and did not add to the
personal word list.

I solved the problem by using a hash table for every buffer I
spell-check and keep all the words there (together with the
corresponding language identifiers and whether they are buffer- or
session-local).