Re: Saving markup formats

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Saving markup formats
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 00:55:42 +0300

> I certainly don't care about wysiwyg. I'd just like to have good
> editing support for documents written in word or openoffice.

If you don't need WYSIWYG, you can edit them just visiting files in Emacs
in their source format.  OpenOffice has two XML formats .odt and .sxw,
and AbiWord has the format .abw which is XML as well.  How else do you want
to edit these documents without WYSIWYG?

> A good embedded XML parser would be needed. I've thought about taking
> time out to add libxml2 support natively to emacs. That would do the
> job very well.

Emacs already has a XML parser (`xml-parse-file' in xml.el), so this is
not a problem.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/