Re: Syncing Gnus and Emacs repositories

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Syncing Gnus and Emacs repositories
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 10:50:56 +0200

> David Kastrup writes:
>
>  > right" (TM) and thus the problems are similar.  Distributed SCMs are
>  > actually not a matter of developer policy: the adoption of them
>  > basically remains the individuals' choice.
>
> If they are used as a means of cooperation, it becomes a policy
> issue.

Yes and no.  If they are used as a means of cooperation among a group
working around the limitations of the main project's policies, having
a "policy" would imply something like an "administrational fork", an
impression which people want to avoid like the plague.

git's history basically is a management tool for patch sets.
Developers may or may not use it without affecting the overall
project.  I have quite a few project with a central Subversion
repository where I manage my local work and branches using git.

> [[ aside, as long as I'm here
>
>  > I am currently fighting with git-archimport in order to get a
>  > useful starting point for working with multi-tty and its history,
>  > but might have to do a direct CVS import into git instead.
>
> Have you tried Tailor?
>
> http://wiki.darcs.net/index.html/Tailor
>
> (nb Tailor is mostly independent of darcs, but in my experience
> darcs.net is higher availability than Lele's page.)
> ]]

Not yet.  Thanks for the pointer.

--
David Kastrup