Re: propose adding Icicles to Emacs

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: propose adding Icicles to Emacs
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 00:17:56 +0300

>> Also there is another bug (I can't believe it's by design): after typing
>> <C-next> the face description in the *Help* window goes out of sync with
>> the face name highlighted in the *Completions* window and displayed in the
>> minibuffer (e.g. when the current selected completion is `bold-italic',
>> the *Help* window displays the description of the previous face `bold').
>
> No, this is the normal behavior of `C-next'. When you hit `C-next', it acts
> on the _current_ completion candidate and _then_ moves to the next one (so
> you can then act on it, in turn). `C-next' is thus a shortcut for `C-RET'
> (act on the current candidate) followed by `next' (make the next candidate
> current).

When I type `C-next' I expect it acting on the _next_ completion candidate
(`next' + `C-RET').  When I want it acting on the _current_ completion
candidate,
I can simply type `C-RET'.

It is a pity that you changed your original design.  Displaying the result
of action applied to the previous completion candidate with the name of
the next completion candidate highlighted in the *Completions* window is
as confusing as for instance if you typed `next-error' and see the previous
match in the source buffer with the next match highlighted in the
grep/compilation buffer.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/