Re: problem with openning emacs after installation of emacs-22.1

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: problem with openning emacs after installation of emacs-22.1
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 06:41:00 -0400

    It lookes like your Emacs was built without X support. Re-run
    configure and look at the output, especially at the end where it says:
    "What window system should Emacs use?". You are probably missing some
    X libraries and/or development packages on your system. Further
    information will be earlier in the output of configure, and in the
    file config.log.

This is another example of why we should make this change:

    We could probably use some heuristics: if DISPLAY is set, and/or if
    X11 runtime libraries appear available and/or an executable named X
    (the last probably being most reliable and easy to check), then we'll
    barf unless the user explicitly says -without-X11.

However, we must be careful about handling this for cross-compilation.
In cross compilation, you can't assume that DISPLAY or presence of
runtime libs or presence of an X executable says anything about the
target environment.

This, for cross-compilation we should arrange to handle these issues
in one of the following three ways:

* The old way: enable the feature if the development is present
or --with-x is given.

* Manual: enable only if --with-x is given.

* Enable by default, and disable only if --with-no-x is given.